A Tip Top Big Mac – Your New McDonalds
A Tip Top Big Mac is what I made at McDonalds even if I do say so myself.
Myself and some fellow bloggers were invited to take a look around one of Plymouths City Centre McDonalds where some pretty impressive changes have been made to improve the service that customers receive and streamline the whole McDonalds experience.
Self Service – If you’ve been into your local branch recently it may be one of over 50% of restaurants that have the touch screen self-service points in addition to the usual counter and drive through services.
You may have even already visited one of the restaurants that have table service on offer. Fear not as these services will be rolled out nationwide in the near future.
The self service points where you order and pay for your food are a really quick and convenient way to order food. It displays the whole menu with size options and meal deal options.
Using the screens couldn’t be simpler. All the food is displayed using pictures and gives you various options (including dips for meals that include this). The touch screens are so easy that you could let your children use the screens to pick choose and order their own food. The best thing about the screens is that the menu is visual and there are options on there that you may not even know is available.
Table Service – This has probably been a long awaited addition to the McDonalds restaurants and will make ordering so much easier for the vast majority of us.
As a parent, standing in the queue and ordering the food and then finding a table can be such a pain in the butt, and then you forget to get the straws or napkins.
These days are long gone. The self-service machine allows you to choose table service. They have plastic table number plaques which are Bluetooth enabled that you pick up which are all numbered (I’m sure they have an actual name). You tap this number in and once your order is placed the server will be able to find you via the number plaque. The server comes armed with a toolbelt loaded with napkins, straws and sauces so there’s no need for you to leave your seat.
Behind the Scenes
We got to have a nose around behind the scenes which was quite impressive.
We started off in the staff room where we were given our very own McDonalds apron, hat (plus hairnet) and name badge. I was totally sold by this point but I am quite easily pleased!
The kitchen, whilst busy was very orderly and everybody was going about their work like a well oiled machine.
I’ve always been quite impressed by the number of staff that are working in any restaurant at any given time. There are approximately 40 staff on at any given time and more at peak times.
We had a look at the walk-in fridges and freezers at all the fresh ingredients that are delivered almost daily and YES they do use fresh eggs!
Some of the restaurants have a seating area where tablets are available. I always assumed that these were just for children, but as well as games available you can use the tablets to get news updates, check your emails and log-in to your social media sites.
Rest assured that the tablets have strict blocks so that unsavoury sites are not accessed by our kids.
You can also keep up to date with all news that is McDonalds including calorie content and community projects that McDonalds support.
The Best Bit
We got to make our very own Big Mac’s.
All of the burgers are made specific to McDonalds. There are clearly labelled charts above the work station to ensure that all burgers are made the same.
You can watch my video but this next bit is completely from my memory.
- Get your bun ready
- Pop it into the three sections of the special bun toaster
- Get your box ready
- Put the bun in box
- Shoot the Big Mac sauce gun at both parts of the bun
- Add lettuce
- A sprinkle of onion
- A slice of cheese on one side
- Two slices of gherkin on the other making sure that you separate so you get pickle in each bite
- Add a burger on each side
- Put the middle part of the bun on top of the bottom bun
- Shut the box
- BOOM the Big Mac is good to go
I totally aced my Big Mac making skills as you can see in my video.
Cool McDonalds Facts
- They use fresh ingredients. Contrary to what many people think where possible fresh ingredients are used and delivered to the restaurants daily.
- No food is sat around – The burgers are freshly prepared to order
- All waste is recycled. This was the biggest surprise for me. All food and packaging waste is separated and recycled including the oil used in the fryers
- McDonalds aim to have a ‘Zero Waste Policy’ in all restaurants by 2020
- To reduce the carbon footprint, delivery lorries deliver and pick-up at the same time so that no empty lorries are driving around
- Since the introduction of the self-service touch screens more salads have been ordered. This maybe since the entire menu is visual on the screen it’s much easier to see what’s on offer
- McDonalds work with local councils and volunteer for litter picking with the Love Where you Live campaign
- McDonalds support local community projects and sports clubs
I bet you’re just a little bit impressed as was I. We like to take Isabelle to McDonalds for a treat and we allow her to choose her own meal whether it be a burger and fries or fish fingers and a fruit bag. It’s all about moderation!
As they say *whistles* ‘I’m Loving it!’